(Subject to change)
Tuesday, July 31
9:00 "Gathering Joy," Willie James Jennings, Yale Divinity School
10:00 Coffee Break
10:30 Panel on Approaching Joy
- Moderator: Ryan McAnnally-Linz, Yale Divinity
- Moderator: Angela Gorrell, Yale Divinity
- Robert Emmons, University of California at Davis
- Kevin Hector, University of Chicago
- Junius Johnson, Baylor University
- Robert Roberts, Baylor University
- Almeda Wright, Yale Divinity
1:00 Concurrent Sessions:
Session A: Tomáš Sedláček, CSOB, "Ethics for an Age of Digital Theology," (Niebuhr)
Session B: Joy in the Field (Old Refectory)
- Libby Byrne, University of Divinity, Melbourne, Australia
- Ashon Crawley, University of Virginia
- Phil Davignon, Union University
- Ryan Gillespie, University of California, Los Angeles
- Erin Raffety, Princeton Theological Seminary
- Léon van Ommen, University of Aberdeen
2:30 Afternoon Refreshments
3:00 "Joy in the Islamic Tradition," HRH Prince Ghazi bin Muhammad, Aal al-Bayt Institute for Islamic Thought
4:30 Reception, Day Missions Room, Yale Divinity School Library
6:00 "Responses to Joy on Death Row," Rev. Dewey Williams, Prison Chaplain
wednesday, August 1
9:00 "JoyRide: Thriving on the Road to Joy,"Pamela Ebstyne King, Fuller Theological Seminary
10:30 Panel on Joy & the Good Life Across Traditions:
- Moderator: Miroslav Volf, Yale Divinity
- HRH Prince Ghazi bin Muhammad, Aal al-Bayt Institute for Islamic Thought
- Anthony Pinn, Rice University
- Anantanand Rambachan, Saint Olaf College
1:30 Panel on Joy & the Good Life in Contemporary Culture:
- Moderator: Andy Root, Luther Seminary
- Luke Bretherton, Duke Divinity School
- Stacey Floyd-Thomas, Vanderbilt University
- Nyle Fort, Princeton University
- Hartmut Rosa, University of Jena
- Tomáš Sedláček, CSOB
3:00 Afternoon Refreshments
3:15 Optional Excursions
Please note that these excursions are by reservation only. If you would like to go on one of these outings and have not yet made a reservation, please drop by the information desk and sign up.
- East Rock: Scale the mountain that borders Yale Divinity School. This moderate, 90-minute, 3-mile hike ascends 383 feet. The mountaintop gives a cliffside, panoramic view of the whole city.
- Yale's Libraries: Review handwritten, printed, and illuminated treasures at the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library. Selections pulled for the conference tour testify to how traditions are communicated, preserved, and change over time.
- Yale University Art Gallery: Rich with both ancient and modern treasures, participate in a guided tour of the gallery’s works, which include remnants of the earliest remaining Christian house church from Dura-Europos.
- Yale Center for British Art: The Center for British Art hosts the largest collection of British art outside of the UK. A guided tour will be provided.
Transportation to and from downtown hotels will also occur during this time, after guests have been escorted to outing locations.
6:30 Matt Croasmun, "What's Worth Wanting?" Yale Center for Faith and Culture
For the teaching workshop schedule, which runs Wednesday night-Friday morning, click here.